Wednesday 6 April 2016

A note for Rio Haryanto : the first Indonesian F1 racer.

Dear Rio,

Racing is such a new sport for me. I have no idea what it is. Then, you showed up on the media for your efforts searching funding to be the first Indonesian F1 racer. You look nice, very polite, just like any other Solo people. Things run normal until I saw your picture by Reuters praying by closing your eyes. Asking for Allah blessing that He may lead you on the way you go racing by giving up yourself totally to God.  I was stunned. How on earth such a young boy has a such high spiritual level. Believing that your soul, your body, your footstep, your life, and your breath are belong to Him.  For us, those things are lip service, but you really do it. I wish I could pray like you do. Though my age is double than you, but spiritually, you’re much older than me. Everyone said it’s a normal way of praying for a racer as the sport is a risky one, once an accident happen, you may lose your life.  But still, I do appreciate your spiritual level.

Start to feel interested, I search all the things about Rio. Your interviews in many TV shows. You choose a path to be a racer and dream to be an F1 racer.  A very lonely path, full of pressures, hard work, and (perhaps) only limited number of friends. Racing is an expensive and a mean business. By being an asian in the white people’s world, you’ve been treated unfairly and it still goes on. Everyone wants to show off in front of your face proving “who is the boss”. But you keep fighting. And fighting. The best thing you have is a total support from your family.  Racing here and there, only by yourself.  You even sang the national anthem, alone. Still you said, “I don’t mind if my country does not really pay attention to me, the most important thing is, what I have done for my country”.  Damn Rio !  I cried when I heard you said that.

Do you know Rio, how many people really love this country?  A few, very few. Even “they” who supposed to keep the dignity and be at front for the country, are the one who destroying it. Most people are thinking only about their own business. What the hell with other’s people interest. Make money as much as they can. Who cares about the environment. Who cares about the marginal people. Sometime I wish there would be a huge tsunami occurred throughout this country. Swap away the bad guys and leave only good people.  You are safe because you stay in other country.

This I gave you a note from an anonymous who hate Indonesia but I think what he wrote is true.

This country is full of discrimination, racists, religious fanatics, also corrupt system and politicians. Diversity in this country is very fragile, the people are easily provoked into chaos, especially if related to religious issues. Indonesian always sugarcoat their country as the most kind and loving country in SEA, which is in my opinion blatant ignorance and lie. Most people can't mind their own business and love to force their opinion on you. Most Indonesian are uneducated and aggressive barbarians, they are so eager to solve anything by violence. And worst, most people who have high education also so eager to insult and act like savages because of their extreme religious fanaticism. In this oh-so-peace-loving country, it's okay to critic Christian and other religions, but if you critic Islam, they will act aggressively and send death threats to you. Don't get me wrong, there are truly kind and peace-loving moslems in Indonesia, but the extremist and blind fanatics overshadow them. The good moslems usually got peer-pressured to silence. This country is a sad country.

Are you still proud to be an Indonesian ?  I am, because I have no choice. But you are different. You have the opportunity to make a choice. You can have a nationality where the country can support you fully, financially, for your professional career. But you refused. Fool Rio, you make me cry again.

Not all people supporting you. Some thinking that you’re just wasting money. Sports for people born with a golden spoon. They forgot that everything in the world nowadays is about marketing. Social media is the arena for contestation. The one who could get the most attention will be the one who will get the most access. Market, power, performances, funding sources, networks, you name it. It’s hard to make people understand when they used to live inside a box, framed in their own little world.

In my world, in nature conservation, many countries try to prove that they are the most green one by implementing  green economy, having green product, putting environmental services as priorities. Eco-tourism becomes a big business. New Zealand is a good example. See what we have. The mega biodiversity country has its own citizen burning down forest, burning down their own assets, their own dignity.  For nothing but money.  Sad, isn’t it.               

Rio, we both are born in a sad country. Having the nationality of a sad country. Where only a few really love the country. In this case, at least we are at the same side. No matter happen, right or wrong,  I love this country and I will do the best I can to make it better.


NB. We should dive together some day. Karimun Jawa would be a good choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment